How this game came to be
In the far 2001, a Marie Slip’s port of the world famous game “Super Bomberman 2” was released on ZX Spectrum. More than 20 years passed since then, and the same author, but now with a team of professionals, decided to rebuild the game, creating it from scratch.
You are waited by hi-quality engine, brand new graphics and music, new prizes, new worlds, new enemies and at the end it is necessary to fight with a boss. The game also has its own uncomplicated story that immerses you in this fun universe. The game’s engine guarantees smooth 50 fps movement and animation, plenty of sound effects and music to AY-8910 from a professional musician, as well as General Sound support.
How to play
Your task is to blow up walls and find a secret door to a new level. But the door is initially closed, and to open it you have to destroy all the enemies on the level. The game can be played in pairs with a companion or alone.
In the game you’ll encounter many prizes, they appear randomly from blown up walls. In addition, at the end of each world you will be able to play a mini-game to improve your character. Such a bonus game will distract you a little from the endless explosions.
The prizes may look like these:
- Fire – increases the blast radius (maximum effect can be obtained by taking 5 pieces).
- Bomb – extra bomb (maximum effect if 5 are taken).
- Bomb-kicking foot – with this thing you can kick bombs.
- Yellow heel – allows you to pass through bombs.
- Heart – gives you an extra life.
- Green Blob – allows you to place yellow bombs, which can explode from contact with walls, if you kick them well, of course.
- Red Shield – gives you invulnerability to explosions.
- Fuse bomb – while standing on the bomb, hold down the “Fire” button and the bomb will activate standby mode. As soon as you release “Fire”, a detonation will occur. This allows you to kill enemies while waiting for them to approach.
- White Skull – can take away all your bonuses, or force you to place bombs for 20 seconds without respite. A bad prize, but trust me, in the heat of battle you’ll often take it by mistake.
Worlds and enemies
There are four worlds in the game, with new and interesting enemies emerging as you progress through them. Each enemy has their own character and traits that make them unique to the game. We deliberately leave out descriptions of the enemies, so you’ll have more fun meeting them and learning about them for yourself.
In between levels, the game will offer you a game similar to the one-armed bandit. If you match two icons of the same type in a row, you get a life, and if you can match all 3 icons, you get a life and the corresponding bonus.
Controls are set by default:
- Player 1: OPQA, SPACE, ENTER (pause)
- Player 2: Sinclair 1
Before you start the game, you may want to set the buttons for both players in the Options menu, and select play using the Kempston Joystick.
During play, you can switch the music off/on and exit to the main menu using the ENTER button.
The game autodetects Kempston Joystick, so when it’s present it will automatically activated by default.
You can go through the main story together, helping each other, or you can fight against each other.
The full version of the game is sufficiently optimized and accelerated to support slow memory computers like classic ZX Spectrum 128.
If you going to play with friend (2 player mode) on HARD level of the game, you may be need to use 7 MHz turbo mode (if exists on your hardware). It’s because sprites may flick on 3.5 Mhz.
When playing VS BATLE the accumulated prizes does not disappear after death. This makes the game a bit more interesting.
Code: Marie Slip, Gogin
Graphics: Joe Vondayl
Testing: Black Cat, Alex
Our official partner is NedoPC group: https://www.nedopc.com
- More than 10 rare bugs fixed (thanks to the community for their help in finding them!).
- The demo version has become a full-fledged gaming demo that has an end and a beginning. The demo version includes the first 5 levels and the casino.
- Have you been annoyed by flickering sprites? The game engine has been accelerated so that sprites no longer flicker on computers with slow memory.
- The entire engine has been redesigned, with the hit boxes now using pixel-precision technique, which means the game now more enjoyable to play.
- Added the ability to choose a character when playing as a single person (yeah, you may roleplay a girl even when playing solo!).
- Fixed bugs with weapons, casino, and game freezes.
- When playing in HARD mode, the balance has been corrected. The “Shield” prize works for one level, then is taken away. This way you can’t just bomb everything.
- Well and still the game runs fine at 50 fps.